Saturday, March 28, 2009

Introduction

I imagine you're wondering two things. First of all, why would I write a blog on philosophy? and second of all, why I would write a blog on philosophy?

The answer to the first question is one I intend to expand upon in the blog itself, but I will briefly touch upon it now. I'm not an old or particularly experienced man. No single event has changed my life, or taken me near to death. I have no doctorate, I have not travelled the world. I'm young, and I don't have all the answers. You might expect some text on philosophy to be written by an aging man, some sage or guru perhaps, a man of religion possibly. I am not he. What I am is a young man who likes to think. I think compulsively, and what better a topic to mull over than what I see around me? I am well-read, but I form my own ideas based on my own experiences, limited though they may be. And though they may be limited, I have seen and heard much. It is not difficult to absorb a lifetime's information in weeks and months in the modern era, if one compares the modern man with his information superhighway to, say, a medieval peasant, who not only lived shorter but possibly never left his home town. When put like that, a lifetime's information is not a great deal at all. I think this is enough for me, sufficient reflected upon, to form some sketch, some scaffolding of ideas upon which a belief system might be lain.

That leaves the other question. This one is perhaps a little harder to answer. I mentioned that I think compulsively. But what good are thoughts, if they can only benefit oneself? I have a deep-seated conviction that others should be told of what I think, even if they are unwilling or my words impotent and paltry. Why this should be so, I am not sure, but it is as it is and there is little I can do otherwise. I am going to great pains now to tell you that I do not pretend to think my words will change anyone's life bar my own. But at the same time, I should like to think that maybe someone will read what I've read, and I will leave an impression, if only passing, that would make them think again. Perhaps this is my deeper goal- my life revolves so certainly around thinking that I derive a great deal of pleasure from it, and, like laughter, I think thoughts are best shared with friends. If thought inspires thought, then perhaps I can cause you, reader, to experience the same intellectual fulfillment that I do.

But this blog is not supposed to be a pamphlet on my beliefs- I am no preacher. I will leave some commentary from time to time on current events, perhaps some art or poetry, but with that said, this blog is called My Philosophy for exactly the reason that it describes its content. I do not want anyone to wholheartedly subscribe to what I think, but as I mentioned, I would like to think I can leave some impression on somebody, and that would make all the difference. So, I hope you enjoy reading what's to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment